Environmental Sciences Institute (ESI)
The Environmental Sciences Institute (ESI) is a national institute set up to provide technological services to national and regional stakeholders in order to enhance environmental performance of industrial products and services at local and international markets. ESI has established enduring partnership with industry and other stakeholders through collaborative research, development of new products, consultancy and training in the environmental field. It also hosts the National Cleaner Production Centre (NCPC) of Zimbabwe.
To provide environmental research, training, consultancy and advisory services for improved and sustainable environmental management and resource utilization by providing tools and solutions for informed decision-making.
- To develop and apply technologies and methods and/or products for solving environmental challenges in a sustainable manner.
- To research on and contribute to sustainable natural resource management, protection of natural resources and environment.
- To provide technical assistance in environmental management and cleaner production services and conduct environmental impact assessments for development projects.
- To provide technical consultancy and advisory services in environmental education, management and climate change.
- To participate in national, regional and international collaborative research activities.
Natural Resources Management Division:
- Environmental impact assessments (EIA)
- Natural resources management (soil, water, minerals, forests & biota)
- Habitat restoration
- Ecological research
Industrial Environmental Management/Cleaner Production (IEM/CP):
- Industrial Ecology
- Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- Resource Efficiency & Cleaner production (RECP) and Sustainable Consumption
- Emissions monitoring and management (dust, particulates, gases , fumes)
- Effluent analysis and management
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS)
Environmental Technology Division:
- Water treatment
- Wastewater treatment
- Resource recovery, reuse and recycling
- Wetland restoration and bioremediation
Waste Management Division:
- Solid waste management
- Hazardous waste management
- Integrated waste management
Environmental Training/Capacity Building & Education Division:
- Resource Efficiency & Cleaner Production (RECP) Technologies (CPT
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Environmental Law/Legislation
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- Waste Management
- Curricula development
- State of the environment reporting
Analytical Services Division:
- Water quality assessments
- Waste water analysis
- Contaminated soils analysis
- Air quality analysis
For Further Information Contact:
The Director, ESI
Tel: + 263-4-860321/9