- To develop and reduce to practice technologies and processes that will lead to the setting-up of industries in the food, pharmaceutical and biochemical sectors.
- To adopt and adapt new technologies in the food and biomedical industries.
- To provide technical consultancy and training services to industries in the food, chemical, biochemical and pharmaceutical sectors.
- To offer research and analytical services to the food, chemical, pharmaceutical and biomedical industries.
Current Research Projects
Production of broad spectrum paraciticide – avermectins: The project is aimed at developing and adapting biotechnological processes for the production of avermectin-based drugs. Phase one of this project is aimed at producing a broad-spectrum paraciticide for use in the veterinary field.
Microbial Culture Production: The project is aimed at developing microbial starter cultures for use in the food industry and microbial cultures for use in bioremediation and treatment of industrial waste.
FBTI Offers the Following Analytical Services:
The institute has laboratories that provide analytical and maintenance services for domestic, industrial, agricultural and public sector establishments.
- Base metals
- Heavy metals
- Platinum Group Metals (PMGs)
- Fertilizer recommendations
- Pedological analysis
- Analysis of contaminated soils
Water quality monitoring: Chemical and microbiological analysis of domestic, industrial and irrigation water.
Microbiological tests: We perform microbiological tests on food, dairy, water and environmental samples.
- Technical assessment – microbiological testing of swabs and products sampled during evaluation.
- Hygiene survey reports – list deficiencies with respect to legislation and applicable standards observed during visual inspections and provide detailed action plans.
High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) columns:
- Manufacture of high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) columns
- HPLC column repacking
- Chemical process and product development
- Food processing and product development
- Food safety and hygiene
- Health management through nutrition
- HPLC training on techniques and applications
- Hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) training
Achievements and Track Record
- FBTI and BRI have successfully developed and processed foods based on indigenous crops (millets, sorghum and leguminous crops). The blends produced have been commercialized and are being marketed through the Zimbabwe Technological Solutions, a subsidiary of SIRDC.
- HPLC columns are packed at FBTI service the pharmaceutical and biochemical industries.
- Ensuring safe drinking water through provision of water quality testing and monitoring services.
Areas of Collaboration or Partnership
FBTI seeks partnerships in the following areas:
- Commercialization of microbial metabolites production. Currently Ivermectin a broad spectrum veterinary antibiotic is ready for joint venture commercial partnership.
- Commercialization of microbial culture production - dairy industry starter cultures and industrial waste treatment cultures.
- Research and commercialization of food products made from indigenous crops.
- Setting up of an analytical and testing centre
Collaborative research is desired in the following areas:
- Food Technology
- Fermentation Technology
- Biomedical Science and Technology
- Pharmaceutical Technology
- Chemical and Process Engineering