Informatics Institute (II)
The Informatics Institute (II) utilizes systematic procedures to provide highly scalable bespoke software engineering systems for the processing, management, and retrieval of digital information. This is aimed at simplifying the decision-making process. The areas of focus include manufacturing systems, database systems, artificial intelligence systems, multimedia, e-commerce and Internet programming.
Goals and Objectives
II aims to design software engineering systems that deliver the right information, to the right user in the right place and time, in the right way for decision-making. The main objective is to spearhead the adoption and promotion of computer-based information systems as a tool for economic development.
Possible Areas of Collaboration
Interested partners can join II in the following projects:
- Establishment of a Software Development House: To set up and manage a state-of-the-art software development facility.
- Computer Assembly: To set up a computer assembling facility for the Southern African regional market.
II has three divisions namely: Software Engineering, Communications and Networking and Technical Support Services.
Current Research Projects
II is currently working on a portfolio of research projects in the public and private sectors.
- Computerized Asset Management System: The computerization of the asset management function of any company. This ensures an up-to-date asset register and the recording of all asset transactions. These assets can be either tangible or intangible such as Intellectual Property <http//:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property> and Goodwill <http//:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill>. This system monitors the life cycle of assets in an organisation. It also unifies and automates both the computer and non-computer inventory processes from deployment to retirement including asset data audit, tracking, compliance and reconcilliation.
- Customer Relationship Management System: Used by any company to keep an up-to-date account of its customers in order to ensure a quality customer service. It keeps track of timescales, prices and quality of the products.
- Enterprise Resource Planning System: Used by any company to manage all the manufacturing transactions: estimating, sales order processing, stock control, purchasing, shop floor data collection, production scheduling, costing, invoicing and reporting.
- Transport Fleet Management System: The computerization of any company’s transport fleet and all related transactions.
- Accounting System: The computerization of the accounting function of any company.
Trial versions for these systems are currently available. Please contact us to obtain a copy.
- Fleet Management InformationSystem (FMIS)
- Computerised Asset Management System (CAMS)
- Computerised Maintenance Management System (CMMS
Services Offered by the Institute
- Design and development of custom-made software engineering systems
- Website development and maintenance
- Technical Support for Computer Hardware and Software
- Network Design and Support
- Training and Technology Transfer
- Software engineering design
- Web design
- Computer literacy
- Internet and email
- Network design and administration
- Computerized Maintenance Management System: The digital processing of the plant and machinery maintenance operations of a leading manufacturing company. This ensures complete tracking and recording of all activities.
- Integrated Pay and Information System: The computerization of the salary administration of a large government department.
- Insurance Employee Benefits Management System: The computerization of the employee benefits management system of a large insurance company.
- Pension Management System: The computerization of the pension fund management operations of a large company.
- Human Resource Management System: The computerization of the human resource operations of a large government authority.
- Land Information Management System: The creation of a single, central and secure land information data bank, which enables policy makers to make accurate and timely decisions on all matters related to land administration.
- Zimbabwe E-governance Project: II is a technical partner in the Zimbabwe e-governance project which is aimed at making all government services available on-line.
- Computer Repair and Maintenance Support: The institute offers full computer and allied hardware repair and maintenance back-up support to various clients in the public and private sectors.
For Further Information Contact:
The Director, Informatics Institute
Tel: + 263-4-860347 (direct line)