National Metrology Institute (NMI)
In line with its mandate and being the Custodian of National Measurement Standards, NMI, through high quality and traceable metrology services, supports competitiveness of Zimbabwean industrial products and services, fairness in trade, consumer protection, health and safety of human and animal life and protection of the environment. The institute provides traceable measurements and calibration services to private as well as public sectors of the economy. These services enable industries to compete on the global markets as well as meet statutory and contractual obligations.
Goals and Objectives
The National Metrology Institute shall provide its clients and stakeholders with metrology services that meet international standards. This shall be achieved through:
- Delivery of accurate and traceable results consistently through calibrations using measurements standards with demonstrated equivalence to those of other recognised National and Internal Metrology Laboratories
- Meeting all customer requirements, applicable regulatory, statutory and contractual requirements and relevant national/international standards.
- Management’s commitment to implementing ISO/IEC 17025 requirements and those of the accreditation body.
- Ensuring that our policies and procedures are documented, known, understood and implemented by all employees in executing their duties.
- Sustaining technical competence of personnel through relevant training, intra- and inter-laboratory comparisons with peer laboratories.
- The quest for continuous improvement in our business operations through formulation and review of objectives.
We are committed to ensuring that SIRDC’s National Metrology Institute signifies reliability, accuracy and competence.
NMI is currently divided into four major departments:
- Dimensional: Length Metrology; Angle Metrology; Surface Texture, Roundness, Roughness
- Mass: Mass Metrology; Volume Metrology; Force Metrology; Pressure
- DC and AC Metrology, Time and Frequency (T & F) Metrology, Resistance, Capacitance and inductance
- Temperature Metrology
- Humidity Metrology
- Heat Metrology
- Primary and Certified Reference Materials
- Gas Analysis and Gas Analysers
- Calibration, Quality Control and Performance Test of Analytical Equipment
Current Research Areas
- Thermometry project -Research into temperature measurement systems, i.e. Temperature controllers, indicators, sensors, etc.
Development of standard and certified reference materials.
- Development of SpeedTesting Meters Calibration System.
- Establishment of measurement equivalence with peer laboratories in the region and globally through laboratory Inter-comparison, and proficiency testing.
- Preparation of Calibration and Measurement Capabilities (CMCs) for registration in the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) Key Comparison Database (KCDB).
Areas of Collaboration
- Laboratory inter-comparison, proficiency testing and mutual recognition arrangements.
- Staff professional development programmes
Products and Services
- Mass and Volume:
Balances, Scales, Weights and (Micro Pipettes, Measuring Cylinders, Burettes), Volumetric (glassware), Moisture Testers, etc
Pressure gauges, calibrators, transducers, etc
Micrometers, vernier calipers, Gauge Blocks, Steel Rulers, Dial Gauges, Feeler Gauges, etc.
Calibrators, Multimeters, Ammeters, Voltmeters, Power Supplies, Frequency Counters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, Tachometers, etc.
Calibrators,Thermocouples, RTDs, LiGs, Temperature indicators, etc.
Sound level meters, sound calibrators, etc
Conductivity, pH and TDS Meters, Gas Analysis and Gas Analysers, UV-VIS, HPLC, AAS, (GC)-MS, FTIR, Viscometers, etc
Light meters, light calibrators, etc
- General Metrology (including calibration); Temperature Metrology; Electrical DC Low Frequency Metrology; Mass and Volume Metrology; Evaluation and Expression of Uncertainty; Dimensional Metrology; Chemical Metrology; and tailor-made courses on request.
- Setting up a calibration system for ISO9001: 2000 and ISO 14000 Certification; Measurement, Calibration and Instrumentation Aspects;
Installations and Commissioning
- Servicing and repair of measuring instruments for local and international clients.
Zimbabwe through the National Metrology Institute (NMI) became an Associate of the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM), which is the Secretariat of the Metre Convention (www.bipm.org), on 14September 2010.
To fulfill the criteria for the CGPM Membership, the NMI had to establish a solid Quality Management System based on the ISO/IEC 17025 International Standard and requisite technical competence in various fields of metrology which were peer reviewed by technical experts from other National Metrology Institutes.
On 4 January 2011, the National Metrology Institute (NMI) signed the International Committee of Weights and Measures (CIPM) Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) www.bipm.org. The CIPM MRA is a Mutual Recognition, by all signatories to the arrangement of Measurement Standards used by the NMI as National Standards and it also recognises Calibration and Measurement Certificates issued by the NMI.
The National Metrology Institute is a member of the Intra-Africa Metrology System (AFRIMETS) www.afrimets.org and also a member of the SADC Cooperation on Measurement Traceability (SADCMET) www.sadcmet.org
Four NMI Laboratories are accreditated as indicated in the table below by the South African National Accreditation System (SANAS) and the SADC Accreditation Service (SADCAS)/SANAS Twinning Partnership Arrangement.
|Laboratory||Date of Accreditation||Accreditation Body||Remarks|
|Mass||21 October 2011||SANAS||www.sanas.co.za|
|Dimensional||15 March 2012||SADCAS / SANAS||www.sadcas.org|
|Temperature||15 March 2012||SADCAS / SANAS||www.sadcas.org|
|Volume||16 May 2012||SADCAS / SANAS||www.sadcas.org|
For Further Information Contact:
The Director, NMI
Tel: + 263-4-860346 (direct)