In line with its mandate and being the Custodian of National Measurement Standards, the National Metrology Institute (NMI), through high quality and traceable metrology services, supports competitiveness of Zimbabwean industrial products and services, fairness in trade, consumer protection, health and safety of human and animal life and protection of the environment. The institute provides traceable measurements and calibration services to private as well as public sectors of the economy. These services enable industries to compete on the global markets as well as meet statutory and contractual obligations.
Goals and Objectives
NMI provides its clients and stakeholders with metrology services that meet international standards. This is achieved through:
- Delivery of accurate and traceable results through calibrations using measurements standards with demonstrated equivalence to those of other recognised National and International Metrology Laboratories
- Meeting all customer requirements as well as applicable regulatory, statutory and contractual requirements and relevant national/international standards.
- Management commitment to implementing ISO/IEC 17025 requirements and those of the accreditation body.
- Ensuring that our policies and procedures are documented, known, understood and implemented by all employees in executing their duties.
- Sustaining technical competence of personnel through relevant training, intra- and inter-laboratory comparisons with peer laboratories.
- The quest for continuous improvement in our business operations through formulation and review of objectives.
We are committed to ensuring that NMI signifies reliability, accuracy and competence.
- Dimensional Metrology: Length Metrology; Angle Metrology; Surface Texture, Roundness, Roughness
- Mass Metrology
- Volume Metrology
- Force, Torque and Pressure Metrology
- Electrical Metrology: DC and AC Metrology, Time and Frequency Metrology, Resistance, Capacitance and Inductance
- Thermometry and Humidity Metrology: Temperature Metrology, Radiation Thermometry, Humidity Metrology
- Chemical Metrology: Primary and Certified Reference Materials, Gas Analysis and Gas Analysers, Quality Control and Performance Test of Analytical Equipment
NMI laboratories offer the following services:
Dimensional Metrology: Calibration of Micrometers, Vernier Calipers, Gauge Blocks, Steel Rules, Dial Gauges, Feeler Gauges, Dial Test Indicators (DTI), Centrifuges, Tachometers, Height Gauges, etc.
Mass Metrology: Calibration of Balances, Scales, Weights, Moisture Testers/Analysers
Volume Metrology: Calibration of Micro Pipettes, Pipettes, Measuring Cylinders, Dispensers, Measuring cans, Burettes, Volumetric Glassware
Pressure, Force and Torque Metrology: Calibration of Pressure gauges, Pressure calibrators, Pressure transducers, Pressure Transmitters, Pressure indicators, Torque wrenches, Force transducers, Force meters, etc.
Electrical Metrology: Calibration of Electrical Calibrators, Multimeters, Ammeters, Process Controllers, Voltmeters, Power Supplies, Oscilloscopes, Signal Generators, Tachometers, Clamp meters, Insulation testers, Ohmeters, etc.
Chemical Metrology: Calibration of Conductivity, pH and TDS Meters, Turbidity meter, Refractometer, Sacharimeter, UV-VIS, HPLC, AAS, (GC)-MS, FTIR, Viscometers, etc.
Sound Metrology: Calibration of Sound level calibrators, Sound level meter, etc.
Light Metrology: Calibration of Light meters, light sources, etc
Temperature Metrology: Calibration of Temperature Calibrators, Thermocouples, RTDs, Liquid-in-glass thermometers, Temperature indicators, Temperature Controllers, Digital Thermometers, Infra Radiation thermometers, Thermo hygrometers, Data loggers, Ovens, Furnaces, Autoclaves, etc.
Metrology Training: General Metrology (including calibration); Temperature Metrology; Electrical DC Low Frequency Metrology; Mass and Volume Metrology; Evaluation and Expression of Measurement Uncertainty; Dimensional Metrology; Chemical Metrology; and tailor-made courses on request.
- Setting up a calibration system for ISO/IEC 17025;
- Measurement, Calibration and Instrumentation Aspects
- Installation and Commissioning of equipment
- Servicing and repair of measuring instruments for local and international clients
Current Research Areas
- Redefinition of some of the SI Units
- Thermometry project - Research into temperature measurement systems, i.e. Temperature controllers, indicators, sensors, etc.
- Development of standard and certified reference materials.
- Development of Speed Testing Meters Calibration System.
- Establishment of measurement equivalence with peer laboratories in the region and globally through laboratory Inter-comparison and proficiency testing.
- Preparation of Calibration and Measurement Capabilities (CMCs) for registration in the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) Key Comparison Database (KCDB).
- Successfully published 13 CMCs in the BIPM KCDB in temperature Metrology
Areas of Collaboration
- Laboratory inter-comparison, proficiency testing and mutual recognition arrangements
- Staff professional development programmes
Zimbabwe, through the National Metrology Institute, became an Associate of the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM), which is the Secretariat of the Metre Convention (www.bipm.org), on 14 September 2010.
To fulfill the criteria for the CGPM Membership, the NMI had to establish a solid Quality Management System based on ISO/IEC 17025 International Standard and requisite technical competence in various fields of metrology which were peer reviewed by technical experts from other National Metrology Institutes.
On 4 January 2011, NMI signed the International Committee of Weights and Measures (CIPM) Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) www.bipm.org. The CIPM MRA is a Mutual Recognition, by all signatories to the arrangement of Measurement Standards used by the NMI as National Standards and it also recognises Calibration and Measurement Certificates issued by the NMI.
Four NMI Laboratories are accredited as indicated in the table below by the SADC Accreditation Service (SADCAS).
Laboratory Date of Accreditation Accreditation Body Remarks Mass 13 June 2017 SADCAS www.sadcas.org Dimensional 13 June 2017 SADCAS www.sadcas.org Temperature 13 June 2017 SADCAS www.sadcas.org Volume 13 June 2017 SADCAS www.sadcas.org
For Further Information contact:
The Director, NMI
Landline: + 263-242-860346 (direct line), 860320, 860322
FCT Lines: +263-778860323, 778860324, 778860327
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com