- The Cabinet decision of May 1998 gave birth to a Food and Nutrition Council (Secretariat to the National Task Force for food and Nutrition)
- In 2000 the secretariat was transformed into a fully fledged Food and Nutrition Council under the Research Act.
- Year 2003 saw FNC being housed at SIRDC
- Guided by the Food and Nutrition Security Policy, the Food and Nutrition Council is mandated to promote a cohesive national response to the prevailing household food and nutrition insecurity and malnutrition through coordinated multi-sectoral actions
To promote multi-sectoral response to food and nutrition insecurity problems to ensure that every Zimbabwean is free from hunger and malnutrition.
The FNC's mandate is to promote a cohesive national response to the prevailing household food insecurity and malnutrition through coordinated multi-sectoral action.
- Convenes and coordinates multi-sectoral technical committees that address specific food and nutrition security issues e.g. ZimVAC, Food and Nutrition Security Committees, Food and Nutrition Security Advisory Group.
- Coordinates food and nutrition security assessments, analyses, early warning and research.
- Recommends sector specific actions to address food and nutrition insecurity based on evidence (assessments).
- Advocates for food and nutrition security issues to be integrated into sectoral development agendas.
- Facilitates the accountability of sectors for improved collective results through the National Food and Nutrition SecurityPolicy Implementation Matrix.
- Advocates for resources to promote and support a cohesive multi-sectoral response for food and nutrition security.
- Plays a watchdog role for food and nutrition security and alerts relevant authorities and stakeholders in food and nutrition security for appropriate action.
The Food and Nutrition Council has the following units:
- Assessment, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit
- Policy Analysis Unit
- Inter-Sectoral Programme Unit
- Advocacy and Communication Unit
- Food Standards, Compliance and Innovation Unit
- Finance and Administration Unit
- In close collaboration with Government Ministries and partners, developed and launched the Food and Nutrition Security Policy and its Implementation Matrix on the 16th of May 2013.
- Established the National Food and Nutrition Security Committee and together with key partners, revived Provincial and District Food and Nutrition Security committees to drive the implementation and monitoring of the Food and Nutrition Security Policy.
- From 2001 to 2013, FNC has co-ordinated and led, in collaboration with ZimVAC partners, the implementation and analysis of 4 Urban and 13 Rural Livelihoods Assessments which have been used by the Ministry of Finance for budget planning.
- FNC is the Scaling Up Nutrition convener for Zimbabwe which is a UN global movement to address under/over nutrition.
- In close collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Child Care, led the implementation of National Nutrition Surveys e.g. NNS 2010, Rapid Assessment 2012/ 13, Micronutrient Survey 2012.
- Developed a conceptual, technical and institutional framework for ԓtrengthening food and nutrition security analysis in Zimbabwe.Լ/li>
- Successfully piloted and evaluated the Zunde Ramambo as a community safety net programme for the most vulnerable.
Visit our website by clicking here